Like all businesses, insurance is a big business. While it is meant to help policy holders, insurance companies also need to maximize profits. Many of us know someone or have heard of someone who has had issues with their home insurance company, particularly when it comes to claims.
We wanted to give you some tips on how to best deal with your home insurance company in the case of a claim:
- Take charge of your claim: don’t wait for an insurance company to ask you about your claim, take charge!
- Have proof: pictures, videos, police reports, etc.
- Be thorough: make sure to read your policy thoroughly to know what documents you’ll need, what you need to pay (if anything), time limits, etc.
- Stay calm: while filing claims may be a difficult process, try to stay calm and collected. Remember, the person on the other end is usually just trying to do their job.
- Ask for a supervisor: when you contact a support center, the customer service representative may be new or may not have the authority to make certain decisions, if you feel it is necessary, ask for a Supervisor who can better assist your needs.
- If you need to look over or sign legal documents, consult a lawyer.
- Investigate all resources: often times there are non-profit organizations and/or government agencies meant to help people navigate similar issues.
Kabco Benefits aims to help you find the best policy for whatever situation you are in and what will best protect you and/or your family. If you are having difficulties with your home insurance company, contact us to see how we can help you!